IBA stands for Important Bird Area
BirdLife International is a global partnership of conservation organizations that strives to conserve birds, their habitats, and global biodiversity, which since the late 1970s has been working collectively to identify, document and protect all places on earth of greatest significance for the conservation of the world’s birds.
Birds are effective indicators of biodiversity, thus over 12,000 Important Bird and Biodiversity Areas (IBAs) have been identified. This list will also help you to identify and understand.
what is IBA in general:
- These are critical areas in terms of conservation of birds and biodiversity
- Places that have international importance
- Convenient places for conservation measures
- Territories selected by international criteria
- Places that can be recognized as protected areas and thus expand the network of existing protected areas
Did you know that, despite the fact that Georgia is a small country, we have 32 IBAs across its territory?
SABUKO is from now on involved in taking positive and coordinated actions to promote the conservation of Important Bird Areas in Georgia. We will further post and provide you with more detailed information regarding IBAs in Georgia!